Headteacher’s Letter – May 23
15th May 2023
We have had an excellent week in school following the bank holiday weekend with lots of industry in lessons, the Year 12 parents’ evening and, for our Year 11 and 13 students, a week where formal examinations have already started.
Summer examinations – Years 11+13
Despite the trials and tribulations of 2020 and 2021, Year 11 and 13 students have been remarkable in their resilience and how they have progressed and developed into wonderful role models for the younger year groups. We are excited for the weeks ahead as they sit their examinations and know they will do their best.
To ensure that our students stay on track with their exam preparations across this long exam season, we will be implementing a programme of Active Study Leave following the May Half Term. As you will be aware, core subjects such as English, Maths and Science will only conclude in the final week of the examination period and it is essential that momentum is retained in preparation for these crucial exams. Here are some important details regarding this period:
- Students must attend all lessons and Booster Sessions until half-term break.
- After the break, a period of Active Study Leave will begin.
- During this time, students will attend all lessons and Exam Booster Sessions for the subjects which have not yet finished. Once all the examinations have been completed for a qualification, students will not be required to attend those subject lessons. For example, Geography students will be expected to attend Geography lessons until the final Geography exam on Friday the 16th of June.
- BTEC courses will continue until the end of June and students enrolled in these courses must attend these lessons until further notice.
- During this period of Active Study Leave, students must always wear their student ID lanyards when on school premises and tap in and out using the card readers. Any abuse of the free movement privilege will have their pass revoked with access restricted to school premises for examinations only.
I would like to remind parents that students are permitted to use the library or VLE from 7.30am to 5pm, and that results day is Thursday 24th August from 9.00am. Thank you for your continued support and partnership in helping our students achieve their very best. I wish them all the very best of luck in their exams.
All students must wear the full and correct uniform for school, school occasions and PE lessons. We check the uniform of all students on arrival to school at the gate and at tutor time. Students who come to school dressed incorrectly may, if there is no adequate reason, be sent home to change or parents contacted to bring in the correct items. In addition, all items of uniform, especially blazers and coats should be labelled with the student’s name. I would like to highlight that hoodies are not acceptable and should not be worn in school. Sixth form students should also comply to the uniform policy. A reminder of the school uniform can be found on the school website HERE.
Extra-Curricular Activities and School Trips
The summer term is traditionally a busy time for enrichment activities. In the last weeks we have had groups of students in Herefordshire at Jamie’s Farm and at the Argoed Lwyd Outdoor Education Centre in the stunning hills of the Brecon Beacons National Park. In the coming term Year 8 students will visit Spain, a range of sports competitions will take place and much more. All of this will be in addition to our regular clubs and activities.
I would like to reiterate that participation in enrichment activities is a key aspect of the development of our students and that all those in Key Stage 3 are expected to take part in at least one enrichment activity each week. The skills and knowledge gained are considerable and we want all of our students to benefit.
Key Events for this term
The calendar on our website is regularly updated and contains dates of activities and events that are taking place in school. Key dates for the coming weeks are listed below.
- Half term holiday – Monday 29th May – Friday 2nd June
- Year 7 Parents’ Evening – Wednesday 7th + Thursday 8th June
- Year 8 examinations – Monday 19th– Thursday 22nd June
- Year 10 examinations – From Monday 26th June
- Year 8 Parents’ Evening – Wednesday 12th + Thursday 13th July
- Results Day (A levels + level 3 vocational qualifications) – Thursday 17th August
- Results Day (GCSEs) – Thursday 24th August
To remain up to date on all school news, click HERE . You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter @StepneyAS for a wealth of content from students and staff.
As always, thank you for your continued support. Please do get in touch if there is any aspect of our provision that you would like to discuss.
Paul Woods, Headteacher