Skip to content


What does SEND mean?

Pupils who have difficulties, beyond what a classroom teacher could normally help with, is described as having SEND. There are several different types of SEND. Each child is different and may fall into any, or several, of these categories. The categories are:

Autistic Spectrum Disorder Behavioural, Emotional and Social Difficulties Hearing Impairment

Moderate Learning Difficulties Multi-Sensory Impairment Physical Disability

Profound and Multiple Learning Difficulty Speech, Language and Communication Difficulty

Severe Learning Difficulty Specific Learning Difficulty Visual Impairment

Who do I contact if I think my child has SEND?

Contact Ms Motin (SENDCO) on 0207 791 4982 or email on to discuss your concerns.

If the school thinks that my child has SEND, how will I know?

If we think your child has an additional need, the SENDCO will invite you into school for a meeting to identify the best way to support your child. A joint decision will be made about placing your child on the SEND register.

If my child has SEND, how will s/he be supported?

This will depend on the need of your child. All SEND pupils will have an Individual Education Plan (IEP), that describes your child’s needs, and has targets for your child. The IEP is shared with all of your child’s teachers. Your child may be supported in some lessons or may be withdrawn to work with a specialist teacher in small groups or one-to-one. You can discuss this with the SEND team.

How will I be informed about my child’s progress?

The most common way is through the parents’ evening and Academic Review Day. However, if your child is receiving help from a specialist teacher, that teacher will communicate with you individually. You are free to call the SEND team at any time, to discuss your child’s progress.

How can I support my child at home?

This depends upon your child’s needs. The SEND team can offer advice to you on an individual basis. However, there are 5 golden rules to follow which apply to most pupils with or without SEND:

  • Encourage him/her to read at home. Try to read with them if possible.
  • Provide them with a quiet place to work, away from distractions.
  • Speak to him/her about school. What is going well? What is troubling them?
  • Check their planner to ensure that homework is recorded and completed.
  • Encourage them to get involved in activities outside school, such as youth clubs, sports clubs, visiting museums, etc. Try to encourage a hobby.

What are the admission arrangements for students with SEND?

Please note that choosing and applying for a secondary school for a child who has an Education, Health, and Care Plan (EHC Plan) is different from the general school admissions process. This is to help make sure children with additional needs and disabilities are a priority consideration for school places.

SEND admission are managed by the local authority (Tower Hamlets). For advice on secondary transfer for pupils with EHC Plans, contact the SEN Service on 020 7364 4880. Tower Hamlets aims to offer every child a place in a local mainstream school. Places at these schools are authorised by the Special Educational Needs (SEN) Panel following a statutory assessment or annual review.

Where can I find the school's SEND policy?

Our SEND policy and SEND report can be viewed in the policies section of our website.